Inclusive Design

Inclusive learning is an essential part of learning designs, as it ensures the availability of the resources and learning materials, and helps the learners to have similar learning experiences and achievements as other learners with different prior knowledge or accesses.
My interactive learning resources consist of two parts: an online YouTube video and an online reading article. The YouTube video has subtitles and other accessories like pause, replay, change play speed, etc. Those features allow learners to get learn at their own pace. The subtitles in the video meet the need of learners with hearing disabilities, people who might need to watch the video muted, or learners that are still learning English. The online article is good material too, since it is an article people could translate it into the language they are comfortable with. However, it can still be improved. The “scaffolds” are important in learning designs, and I think I should add them to our design. For example, we should add instructions or add a rubric at the top of our BrightSpace page. The instructions would help learners to have a brief look at the steps we are about to go through, and it helps learners to have a clear guide. Another scaffold is to upload recorded lectures for those who are not comfortable with readings. The recorded lectures will give the same level of knowledge as presented in the readings.
The assessment in my learning design is a BrightSpace quiz, it is suitable for learners during unexpected events — a pandemic. Students have the ability to access the learning materials and assessments even when they have to stay at home.
Besides curb cuts, there is one universal design in engineering, and that is the new rotatable desk in UVic. It has a rotatable desktop that both right-hand writers and left-hand writers could use, and people only need to switch the desktop to the other side.

1. Xinrong Zhao

I really like the swivel desk example you mentioned. When I see a word ‘swivel’, I can’t help but wonder what features are available in interactive learning resources that can be useful for all kinds of learners. For me, the one-click translation feature was inspired by the swivel desk. People who write with left and right hands are like learners from various countries. One-click translation provides convenience for learners from various countries, allowing them to understand knowledge in the words they are familiar with.

2. lidongpi

Hi, summer
    I really sympathize with what you said about learning materials. My study materials also include online reading and YouTube videos. The purpose of choosing video is that it can more succinctly describe what I want to teach. A variety of video playback functions to meet the different needs of learners. When I study in the library, I often mute my videos. This allows you to watch the video without interfering with others’ learning. In addition, the recording of class audio you mentioned in the article is also a good way. It is more convenient for learners who cannot attend classes in time, and they can also review the learning content through the audio.
    Inclusive design is an important part of interactive design learning. Teachers engage learners with a variety of learning content. It can also break down all kinds of learning barriers. Everyone has an equal right to learn.

3. liuziyi1116

Hi Summer,

I totally agree with you that the “scaffolds” are important in learning designs. It requires teachers to represent the instructions or requirement in steps, just as construction workers build the scaffolding of a building higher and higher until the building is strong enough to stand alone. Actually for me, scaffolds are the temporary assistance by which a teacher helps a learner to know how to do something, so that the learner will later be able to complete a similar task alone. For example, before the class, the teacher can show students a related video, and asked them warm-up questions. These scaffolding steps can arouse students’ interests in today’s class topics.

4. Anastassiya

Hi Summer! I just wanted to thank you for sharing your insights on inclusive and accessible learning design. I couldn’t agree more with your point about the importance of “scaffolds” for effective learning design. It helps learners to feel supported and empowered to succeed.

I want to mention that when grading student work, rubrics have both drawbacks and benefits. On the one hand, rubrics can provide clear expectations and criteria for students to meet, making grading more objective and consistent. On the other hand, rubrics can be limiting and fail to capture the full range of a student’s abilities. Additionally, rubrics can be time-consuming to create and may not always apply to every assignment or situation. Overall, it’s essential to weigh the pros and cons of using rubrics to determine if they are the right tool for a particular task.

5. nickkk

Hey Summer,

From my perspective, your inclusive learning design seems to be well thought out and addresses the needs of a diverse range of learners. By including both an online YouTube video and an online reading article, you have offered options that cater to diverse learning preferences and accessibility needs. The use of a BrightSpace quiz for assessment purposes is also a good choice, especially in unforeseen circumstances such as a pandemic where students may have to remain at home. This guarantees that individuals can still obtain educational resources and evaluations from a distance, preserving the consistency of their education.

Overall, your inclusive learning design is commendable. You have shown a strong commitment to meeting the diverse needs of learners and providing them with accessible and adaptable resources. The incorporation of a variety of features supports, and accommodations creates an inclusive learning environment for all learners.

Keep up the excellent work!